Jacobson Family Law: Divorce
In Maryland, there are many different options concerning the divorce process, including mediation, collaboration and litigation. Jacobson Family Law is committed to providing you with the legal guidance necessary for you to make an informed decision concerning the process that best meets your financial and emotional needs.
Going through a divorce is one of the most stressful and emotional times in a person’s life. The decisions made during a divorce can impact your family’s future for years. An attorney at Jacobson Family Law will guide you through the important and difficult legal decisions that must be made.
There are two types of divorce in Maryland: Absolute and Limited Divorce. Grounds for divorce will differ based on the type of divorce.
- Limited Divorce: A limited divorce grants spouses the right to live separate and apart from one another, but it does not terminate the marriage. During a limited divorce hearing, the Court can decide custody, child support, alimony, use and possession of a home and/or personal property. However, the Court cannot divide property during a limited divorce proceeding.
- Absolute Divorce: An absolute divorce ends the parties’ marital relationship completely. Grounds for absolute divorce include:
- Desertion for a period of 12 months
- Separation for a period of 12 months with no expectation of reconciliation
- Cruelty of treatment towards one’s spouse or the minor child of the spouse, if there is no reasonable expectation of reconciliation
- Excessively vicious conduct towards one’s spouse or the minor child of the spouse, if there is no reasonable expectation of reconciliation
- Insanity where the insane spouse has been confined to a mental institution for three years prior to the filing of complaint for divorce
- Conviction of a felony or misdemeanor in any court where the convicted spouse has been sentenced to serve at least 3 years in a penal institution and at the time of the filing for divorce has already served 12 months of the sentence
Schedule an appointment today with an attorney at Jacobson Family Law for your initial consultation to discuss your divorce matter today.
ADDITIONAL PRACTICE AREAS:
- Alimony/Spousal Support
- Child Support
- Collaborative Divorce
- Contempt Proceedings
- Marital Property Division
- Name Change
- Pre- and Post - Nuptial Agreements
- Protective Orders
- Separation Agreements
- Estate Planning